With the end of the year quickly approaching, now is the time for importers and exporters to review, update and renew their blanket Free Trade Agreement Certificates of Origin (such as the North American Free Trade Agreement Certificates of Origin) on file with their customs broker.
Most Free Trade Agreement Certificates of Origin expire on December 31. It is important to communicate with all your suppliers to request 2017 Certificates of Origin to avoid getting caught without one in January. Failure to renew your Certificates of Origin could result in significantly higher Most Favored Nation (MFN) duty rate being assessed on your goods.
Importer Responsibilities Under Free Trade Agreements
Free Trade Agreements provide for duty free entry of qualifying goods originating in participating countries that meet those countries? rules of origin. In order to benefit from the preferential tariff treatments provided by these countries, the importer is responsible for having a completed and valid Certificate of Origin on file for any goods claiming a reduced or free rate of duty.
Correctly Completed Certificates
For companies reviewing Certificates of Origin from their vendors, the first step is to ensure that at face value the certificate has proper coding and is fully completed. While this might sound like common sense you would be surprised how many certificates are missing information or contain unacceptable data (for instance, on a NAFTA certificate indicating a dollar value in the net cost column). In order to assure accuracy of the data, you need to have sufficient knowledge regarding the completion of the document, the basics of which are usually found on the second page of the applicable Certificate of Origin. If not completed accurately, you are at risk for Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) and potential duties issued by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
How Pacific Customs Brokers Can Help with Free Trade Agreements
TRADE ADVISORY SERVICES
- FTA Concierge Services For clients with time constraints, we offer convenient FTA Concierge Services. We can solicit FTA certificates directly from your exporters allowing you to do what you do best ? run your business.
- Tariff Classification Consulting We offer expert analysis for clients seeking guidance on tariff classification. You may know the ins and outs of your business, but we know the intricacies of trade and always look out for our client's bottom line.
EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOPS WEBINARS
- NAFTA Webinar Series Join this two-part webinar series to learn about rules of origin under the North American Free Trade Agreement. Each part in the series is 60-minutes in length and will clarify a common assumption that all products manufactured in Canada, the United States or Mexico are eligible for duty free status. Learn more or register now!
- Free Trade Agreements and Rule of Origin Workshop In this full-day workshop we will provide you with a comprehensive field-by-field guide to completing a NAFTA certificate. We will assist you in understanding product eligibility, rules of origin, common errors and the importer?s responsibilities under the program to maximize savings. Learn more or register now!
- Your Broker Knows Blog Visit us online at blog.pcb.ca for articles on free trade agreements, import, export, customs regulations, shipping and logistics. Leave us a question or comment in the section below this blog or email us at Ask Your Broker.
- Your Broker Knows YouTube Channel Browse our growing video library for short videos on free trade agreements, customs regulations, global trade, shipping and logistics.