How To Import Processed Food And Beverage Into Canada

Your how to guide on processed food and beverage imports into Canada

When importing crackers, chips, granola bars, bread, canned goods and vegetables, frozen meals, condiments, pasta, candy, non-alcoholic beverages, tea, coffee, soft drinks, juice, plant based milks and other processed foods into Canada, you must know what government parties are involved, what regulations must be followed, and the fundamental aspects of food product imports.

Main Regulations:

Import Fundamentals:

  • You will be acting as the Importer of Record. Therefore, you are the party ultimately responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the import declaration; as well as, the payment of applicable duties and taxes into Canada
  • Duty and tax must be paid upon importation into Canada.
  • The rate of duty is determined by the tariff of the commodity being imported, the value of the goods and, the origin of the goods.
  • Certain import documentation is required to be presented to the border services officer at the port of entry.
  • Your import may be subject to a customs review, inspection or audit prior to, or after the importation. Additional fees may be levied by the Government of Canada for these services.
  • You are required to keep your import records for six years following the date of import and can be audited by Customs at any point during this time.

FAQ: Processed Food Imports

What Labeling Requirements Must My Food Meet?
expand arrow
The government of Canada requires all processed food to be labeled.
What Food Items Are Not Allowed In Canada?
expand arrow

Some foods are prohibited from entering Canada. To find out if your food is admissible, use the below tool from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Do I Need A Food Import License?
expand arrow

All food imported into Canada requires a food import license in accordance with the Safe Food For Canadians (SFCR) regulations enforced by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. In order to determine if your import requires a license use the below interactive tool.

How Do I Get An Import License?
expand arrow

To obtain a Safe Food For Canadians (SFCR) Import License please apply online at My CFIA.

Trade is tricky.
The Trading Post is not.

Sign up to receive easy-to-understand updates, events, and guides on international trade.