Trade Regulation Updates

Importing Food Into Canada With A Safe Food For Canadians Licence

March 15, 2021

Currently, importers of meat, fish, dairy, eggs, processed eggs, processed fruits or vegetables, honey, maple and fresh fruits or vegetables are required to hold a valid Safe Food for Canadians licence (SFC licence) to import food into Canada.

As of today, food import transactions will automatically be rejected unless a valid SFC licence is entered in the Integrated Import Declaration (IID). You must obtain your SFC licence to import before presenting your shipment at the border. If a transaction is rejected, the SFC licence holder may experience delays and have their related food shipment(s) held at the border until the error is addressed and the import transaction is resubmitted. 

For more information, refer to Importing food into Canada with an SFC licence.