30 Day Countdown To ACI eManifest
With the January 11 deadline for mandatory ACI eManifest compliance just about 30 days away, here are a few things to consider.
- According to the Canada Border Services Agency, of the roughly 16,000 carriers with valid carrier codes, over 10,000 are registered for ACI and have begun filing eManifests. These compliant carriers account for 97% of highway volumes.
- Effective January 11th, 2016, carriers that arrive at the FPOA (First Port of Arrival) without having properly filed an ACI eManifest will "experience delays in processing". While it is unclear if these trucks will be forced to return to the U.S., one thing is fairly certain, part of the delay will be the time it takes to write up an AMPS penalty.
- AMPS (Administrative Monetary Penalty System) will go into effect for non-compliant carriers on January 11th, 2016. These penalties increase with each occurrence and range from $200 to $8,000.
- If you are registered as an ACI participant but have not yet begun to file, you should begin immediately and take advantage of the zero-rated penalties while you work the bugs out and fine tune your systems.
- If you have not yet registered, or have no idea what ACI is all about, don't despair. While time is very short you can still get signed up and be ready to go by January 11th. But you have to act now!
Our Border Pro for Carriers eManifest filing services can assist you in submitting all relevant information to Canada Customs within the required time period to ensure your trucks cross the border as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Learn More About ACI eManifest:
Many highway carriers and importers have found our ACI eManifest Seminars and Webinars to be very informative and helpful. In these 90-minute sessions we answer questions, offer practical solutions and help with the ACI eManifest regulations in effect. For details and to register »